Our last Bountiful Basket included sixteen clamshells of delicious blackberries. We ate some of them fresh and froze the majority to use in smoothies. Since they are already frozen, I figured they would do well in a quick batch of nice cream.
If you remember my pistachio nice cream, you know that this non-dairy version of easily THE most popular frozen treat is just as satisfying and pretty darn healthy. It’s essentially a thicker version of a smoothie, into which you can add endless crunch factors like chocolate chips, nuts, or pretzels…just like “real” ice cream!
Blackberries not only make nice cream look rich and vibrant, they are extremely nutritious. One serving of blackberries provides approximately one third of your daily recommended fiber, vitamin A, vitamin K, and vitamin C intake. They are the perfect balance of sweet and tart and really compliment salads, smoothies, and desserts.
Another feature of today’s nice cream rendition is cacao nibs, which I’m using to top my treat. Raw cacao nibs are bits of cacao beans, which are used to make the chocolate that we are used to eating. The raw nibs have all of the health benefits of chocolate without the added sugar, salt, and fat. They are most notably jam-packed with flavonoids, cell-improving antioxidants also found in tea and berries. You’re getting a double dose of antioxidants with this dessert!
Not ready to let go of holiday sweets? Indulge in a dessert that will help you to bounce back from the holidays madness and reach your fitness goals. 🙂 Enjoy!
FORMULA BASE: NICE CREAM
- 2 frozen bananas (or fresh bananas and ice)
- ¾-1 cup specialty ingredients –> I’m using 1 heaping cup of partially-thawed blackberries.
- ¼-½ tsp extract of choice (optional, and amount depends on flavor intensity) –> I’m using ¼ tsp almond.
- Pitted medjool dates as needed for sweetness –> I’m using 2.
- Juice or plant milk until desired consistency (start with just a splash) –> I’m not using any (the juice from the blackberries is enough to puree my ingredients).
- ¼ cup extras for mixing in by hand (optional) – think nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, etc. –> I’m topping my nice cream with raw cacao nibs and raw chopped almonds.
Combine all ingredients (except the extras) in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Ready to enjoy immediately, or place in the freezer while you prepare any desired sauces or toppings.
5 thoughts on “Blackberry Nice Cream”
Thank you! 🙂
Even I love this persons blog AND her delicious, home made vegan recipes? I’ll not even taste another’s attempt at making vegan. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Jackies is the best vegan I’ve ever tasted, liked and had seconds. If her recipes ever go commercial,I’d be on the ground floor as an angel ;(investor:-)$
Keep those terrific recipes coming, please 🇭🇷.
Where do you get the cacao nibs?
Thank you so much! ❤ I have found cacao nibs at the farmer's market! They may have them at a specialty place like Whole Foods, too.